2021 NRL pre-season team talk

SC Playbook Forums 2021 NRL pre-season 2021 NRL pre-season team talk

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      SC Playbook
      Keymaster

Drop your questions and provide feedback for the SuperCoach community here to help nail your Round 1 team. The SC Playbook contributors will be chipping in with our own thoughts to help you through the pre-season.

lukejohnson276
      Participant

Hey guys, keen to get the chat started for the season. Thoughts on Tedesco and Cleary at their huge prices? Worth biting the bullet earlier or is their value elsewhere at FLB/HFB?

joshhogan58
        Participant

At $843,100 I reckon Teddy is too much. Surely we get a discount on that at some stage and save some cash?? Tommy Turbo at under $600k has to be the go doesn’t he, I’ll take the injury risk for the price… Also Papy could kick goals for Melbourne if Cam Smith is gone, would make him underpriced for round 1.

I’m going Cleary for sure and just locking in until Origin at least, looks the best of the halfbacks by a fair way so may as well cough up.

SC Playbook
          Keymaster

At this early stage I’ll have Teddy and Turbo, more than happy to take the injury risk on Tommy T with his upside. Will likely be $700k+ by initial price rise if he’s injury free. Val Holmes at CTW looks juicy too provided he plays fullback.

I’ll also be starting with Cleary for the time being, with you on that Josh, he looks a few levels above the rest, lock it in.

– Tim W

Brew
        Participant

I’ve had sides with and without both. Currently I do have them both. Cleary being so far ahead in his position last season is a scary thought, and SOS is also in his favour. DCE is the only person I see coming close, and only if he takes the GK.

Re Teddy – whilst there’s a strong temptation to save the money and start with Papz/ Turbo combo, the 95 average is massive and the ceiling is enormous for Teddy over Papz. Papz might bang out a 125 but Teddy can do that in a half and given he’s such a strong captaincy option, I’ll hurt double if you’re a non owner.

luke richo
      Participant

Hi lads, this year is there valid strategy in going possibly FRF leaving out Haas/klemmer first up etc to go for say Tino/Horsburgh/Fotuaika/Welch to use cash on upside guns elsewhere?

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Hey Richo,

Always a massive play to leave out premiums FRFs in my opinion. FRF is a position with such drastic movement scoring wise due to inflating minutes in a new season. It’s a great position to target those mid-rangers who can churn out 45+ points each week, make $150k, then turn into a gun. Haas might be the premium exception who is a lock just because he’s so much better than anyone else in the position.

– TW

joshhogan58
      Participant

Thoughts on Blake Ferguson? Was pretty bad last year but at $352,900 he’s super cheap. Especially if Moses goes well in the trials on the right edge, would have to think he makes money worst case scenario. Or is he too old for decent supercoach scoring these days?

Brew
      Participant

He’s not the worst shout, it is a contract year which goes in his favour. I do think his age is catching up with him though and that CTW is a wealth of cheapie options 2021, for this reason he’s an avoid for me.

Gus Winfrey
      Participant

Hey Fellas
      Thoughts on Paseka from Manly. Will he get an increase in minutes with AFB departing? I was impressed with him in the last few rounds last year. Is he a valid option for SC 21?

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Really interesting option and a great spot. He had 34 base per game last season in 36 minutes, obviously with AFB gone there’s minutes to be won. If he starts and plays 50+ which is very possible he’d be a great mid-ranger at $421k. I also rate his upside for a FRF option, he had three tries in his last three games in 2020. If he gets that starting spot in round 1 it’d be big, awkward price but tempting.

– TW

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by SC Playbook.
      SCSpy
      Participant

My concern is the same as last year in that the Eels play left a lot its their strength and on the right its often Matterson! He is definately an option but does he just do the same thing which is a decent workrate with minimal attack? Won’t hurt you a lot but can you do better is my thoughts? I think yes at this stage..

wadespeer1
      Participant

But of a left field option – J Bromwich at 395k? Had a quiet 2020 but averages 50s in 2018,2019? Maybe the new speed is what gave him less SC output. Just after opinions 🤷🏼‍♂️

Brew
      Participant

There’s a world of options before Jbrom. I just don’t see him ever returning to his previous gun status.

Brew
      Participant

I’d be waiting on trials for a better look. Starting plus minutes, could be a sneaky pod. I’d be wanting to see that first hand before taking such risk.

Belemy77
      Participant

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of going all Mid’s in the FRF, currently have Welch, Hetherington, Lodge and Utoikamanu, but I am not overly comfortable with doing this… what are your thoughts ?

Also any love for Wade Egan at the Warriors, pending TLT he could be 70+ min hooker at 336K

Cheers

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Hey mate, I’m a big fan of the mid-ranger at FRF tactic. Obviously we need the crop to be there, but provided we get a few come round one I think it’s ideal. Find a couple who are set for bigger minutes at $300-$450k, let them score their 50s and make $100k then it’s an easy upgrade to a FRF gun who will likely be pumping out 55-65PPG anyway. There’s a few on the radar, but pre-season will tell us plenty.

If Egan starts he’ll be an enormous play, but the Warriors tend to play a bench hooker and the minutes are fairly evenly split, so there’s risk. TLT the big one obviously.

– TW

Russ
      Participant

Regarding the Teddy / Turbo / Papy conundrum, i think Teddy is vital. If you have Teddy / Turbo, when Turbo gets injured, it is a simple trade Turbo to Papy. If you have Papy / Turbo, when Turbo gets injured, you need to find about $200k to get to Teddy.

Ive been burned so badly by Turbo injuries, I feel I need a simple easy trade to replace him.

T Sir B
      Participant

At this stage im going Teddy and Turbo, as well as Cleary and Munster or Walker in my halves….. 3-4 gun 2nd rows and 2 decent front rows (Paulo and AFB)….. this leaves me with all cheapies in the backs which is fine. But Conor watson and Liddle at 9 looks gross.
      can you see anyone of great value Hooker that you should probably start with. obviously cook had a down year and i think is probably the logical choice to rise. But there isnt any 9 that i love (for supercoach….. Im a Queenslader and I FUCKING LOVE HARRY GRANT)

Jordyharts
      Participant

I was very keen on Paseka before they signed Aloiai

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Yep the winner of AFB’s starting prop spot at Manly will peak some interest. How about big Marty with no AFB? More minutes and more encouragement to offload perhaps? Maybe one for Round 3 prior to first price rise but certainly an interesting prospect.

– TW

jmwj
      Participant

Hey guys, was listening to one of the other SC podcasts and they mentioned a trading loophole that I had never heard of and wanted to see if you knew whether it actually worked.

Imagine you trade Cleary to DCE before lockout one week (and don’t use your second trade). Once initial lockout hits, you can’t use the ‘reverse trade’ feature, but apparently there is a way to in effect reverse the trade.

Before Cleary and DCE themselves are locked out (ie before Penrith and Manly play), if you use your ‘second trade’ to trade DCE to Cleary, it will actually cancel out your first trade and give you back two trades. Alternatively, if you instead use your ‘second trade’ to trade DCE to Mitch Moses (maybe because DCE gets ruled out before kickoff and Parra haven’t yet played), this will just count as one trade, as if you’d traded Cleary straight to Moses.

Do you guys know if this works? That’s huge if true, particularly the second option, because so often the player you’re trading out plays early in the round but the player you’re trading in plays late in the round, so you’re taking a gamble that they get named. If they don’t get named and this works, you get a free shot at trading them to someone else (as long as the new player you’re trading in hasn’t played yet). Thoughts?

Beastie
      Participant

Great question that.
      In your example of trading Cleary to DCE, Id also be very interested to find out if you can then trade out DCE for Moses – after Cleary had played and was locked (but before DCE/Moses lockout obviously). Is that still counted as just the single trade?

Brew
      Participant

You can’t trade them once they’re locked out because they’ve played. So it’s not a double dip loophole. It’s purely that you can still trade them back after the initial lockout, and before that team has played for the round.

GoodFaNuffinLosers
      Participant

RE – Teddy Cleary POST:

Neither have left my first side I picked. I’ll base my team around Teddy/Turbo, Cleary, Gun Hooker & 4 x Gun 2RF’s. I’m happy with the 17 Starters that I have been able to put together so far.

Jordyharts
      Participant

Taupau not a bad shout coming off his lowest minutes for a few years is there a stat to see how he scored without AFB would love if Dessy let him get the off load back out!

mattmobster
      Participant

245k for Oates apparently moving from CTW to second row?

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Could be a bargain if starting, I don’t think he will though, especially with Riki’s form in the trial.

I’d almost prefer just as a cheapie on the wing playing 80 minutes. He still based 27 per game last season which is excellent considering the side he was playing in.

zjv
      Participant

hey boys, will all the team summaries be posted before the season starts?

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Hey mate, yep they’ll all be done before team lists drop on the first Tuesday, hopefully the week before.

Pool Man
      Participant

@MATTMOBSTER He has trained all preseason at 2rf, so it’s looking like it’s a matter of him staring or not. He’ll be a great centre option if he does start.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Pool Man.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Pool Man.
      wadespeer1
      Participant

Hey guys , an honest tough one. Would you rather start with Munster & TKO or Walker & Taupau? I’m leaning towards the latter for the POD status but wanting TKO for his goal kicking… literally can’t find another way to get him in unless I go like dylan Walker to James Roberts.. or papi to turbo to save just that extra 30k but I’m happy with Walker if he gets the starting ctw and wanting papi for goal kicking too. Tough one haha

Pool Man
        Participant

I hope it’s ok to give my two bob’s worth, so here it is. I feel Walker is over priced due to his due to his R20 203pts. If we take out that game his average drops from 74 to 66 points and this drops his price by more than 50k. Taupau would be an absolute SC gun with his 1.33ppm but Dessie only played him for 45mins. I’m going to watch his minutes but I feel there will be little change. There is still a big chance Munster will be kicking and the stats are in his favour. His kicking rate is 59.46% compared to Papy’s 50%. He was also the preferred kicker when Smith left the field last year. It’s fair to say he’s under priced if he does get the GK and the same could be said for TKO. Needless to say I currently have Munster and TKO in my team.

Belemy77
      Participant

Hey Guys,

So who else is on draft 101 ? My teams to change after every pod cast I listen too.

I have a Keeper question, how many are people running.

I currently have 6 with 3 borderlines and any more than that I am really struggling to get a balanced team with anymore than that…

Teddy, Pappy, Munster, Cleary, Matto, Crichton are the keepers, with B Kelly, Welch and R Robson (pending no bench hooker) are the borerlines

Cheers

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Belemy77.
      luther
      Participant

I will be starting Watson at hooker or 5/8th. So the first question I have is Cook or Munster to start the season and why?

Secondly, with Turbo now out, I need to find a reserve fullback. Please rank the following Latrell, RTS and Holmes.

Cheers

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by luther.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by luther.
        trishwilly
        Participant

I think Munster, they are very similar but Munster has that massive ceiling which I’ll be chasing. How do you see Munster impacted by no Smith is the big question I guess, improve or decline?

Rts, Latrell, Holmes for me. I like Holmes, but the chance of being shifted to the wing is too big a risk. Can you afford Papenhuyzen.

Bevchenko
      Participant

So much free cash with Trbo now out 🙂

luke richo
      Participant

All the people taking the risk on Turbo and saying Papi not up to it – wish the season started before he went down. Now I guess everyone will be on the Teddy/Papi train…

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Any alternatives to Teddy/Papy Richo or just locking those two in?

luke richo
          Participant

Most likely just to goal kicking but I do think Papi and munster will share it throughout the season. Only pod thinking would be Gutho (first 5 at bankwest, and only play 3 top teams in first 8-9 games so don’t think you’d fall behind on Papi) or throw the dice at latrell…Or could put Dlaurie there and buy an extra 2rf gun or run Cody and Munster.

I’ll prob just play safe and go Teddy/Papi as there average should get us min 60-70 a week.

• This reply was modified 23 hours, 58 minutes ago by luke richo.
      SCSpy
      Participant

Shame isn’t it! Although at least i won’t have to panic watch Turbo for the start of the year now haha

SCSpy
      Participant

Can’t see his minutes being all that good but round 1 teams will be interesting! It’s a good spot there though mate..

luke richo
        Participant

Love your work Spy – all the best this year mate

alex.favotto
      Participant

Hey guys, a lot of the available CTW cheapies scream traps to me so I am potentially looking to solidify the position a bit more. What are our thoughts on maumalo to start the season. Reasonably priced and usually has a good floor. Think he may be a good pod to start the year with.

Thanks

SC Playbook
        Keymaster

Hey Alex, like your thinking in strengthening the CTW, always a risk going four cheapie CTWs to start the year. He averaged 54PPG last year and his base was 31! The year before it was 60PPG and 35 in base which is enormous. Really under the radar as a POD who rarely goes low, like it!

– TW

blackdiddy
      Participant

Any interest in Josh Jackson this year, will he be more involved with more minutes?

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.